Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Year, More Derby

Ah, the New Year.  A time to reflect on the previous one and plan or make resolutions for the new one.  I myself don't like to look back too much.  I like to be in the now.  However, I'm proud when I look back at 2011 and see how far I've come as a skater.  The fact that I even refer to myself as a "skater" is a big accomplishment in itself.  I'm able to say that I'm much more confident with wheels strapped to my feet.

I'm not big on resolutions, either.  I feel like it's too easy to dump on yourself and give up if you have a slip up.  Not only that, but I prefer to keep the momentum going in the areas I've improved on in the last year and make them even better.  Setting new goals for myself is something I do throughout the year, so I don't feel the need to make them a resolution.  This year, though, I've decided that I will have a theme: Make it happen.  BAM!  Pretty simple, huh?  Well, not really.  They're definitely not magic words, though, I wish they were.  This outlook couldn't come at a better time as our fresh meat assessments are zooming towards us.  So, at the end of this month, I'm going to make it happen.  I want to pass these assessments, so that's exactly what I'm going to do.  There is no debating with myself, no excuses, no "well, I guess I'll see how it goes."  MAKE. IT. HAPPEN.  Once I do that, I'll set the next goal and same thing; make it happen.  See the pattern? 

So what does that require?  Well, obviously, I have to practice as often as possible.  I need to fine tune the skills I find more difficult and make better the skills I can do more easily.  I want to execute them with confidence and better than just enough to pass.  Truthfully, it will probably take longer than the time I have before assessments and I hope I'm never as good as I can get.  I want to always seek to improve my skills.  I think everyone should want that.

The trick for me is the mental blockages.  I do it to myself every time.  Things I know how to do, I will some how mess up because I am being watched.  I guess it's like stage fright.  I know I can do it but because people are paying attention to me doing it, I start second guessing myself.  It's silly, I know, but I can't help it.  In my journey to make it happen, I have to do what it takes to achieve my goals, even if it's completely against my nature.

This is how I'm going to approach all of my goals in every aspect of my life.  I hope everyone has a year full of goals achieved, dreams realized, and most of all, more derby!  Make it happen, friends.

Derby <3
Katie Overstreet

1 comment: